The Neighborhood House
The Neighborhood House, a social service outreach ministry, was established by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy in 1915. Located at 77 & 79 America Street in the basement of Our Lady of Mercy Church, the Neighborhood House has for nearly a century served the poorest of the poor in the city of Charleston.
The Neighborhood House currently provides education services such as G.E.D. preparation, basic skills, literacy training, computer education, a clothes closet, a food pantry, direct emergency financial assistance, and a five day per week soup kitchen that serves an average of 120 people a day.
The Neighborhood House came under the supervision of the Diocesan Catholic Charities office, through which it operated for many years. In 2005, the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy became the sponsor through Our Lady of Mercy Community Outreach Services, Inc. which the Sisters established in 1989.
With the help of many volunteers and financial supporters, the Neighborhood House continues as one of Charleston’s oldest and finest charitable services.